Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Flash Fiction - 5MinuteFiction - Week 67

Here's my entry for this week's #5MinuteFiction

Not my greatest prompt - but they all can't be winners. LOL

Prompt: I always thought that if I were going to write a novel, this is how it would start.

I always thought that if I were going to write a novel, this is how it would start. There would be some big bang of something exploding or something incredible that would hook the reader in. However, when I looked at this … this crap on my desk, I realized the only thing it would hook would be a nap.

Angrily, I crumbled up the few pages of crap I wrote and threw them into the metal trash can next to my desk. The can was starting to get full from all of the other bits of garbage I had tried to write.

There were so many distractions. First the kids ran in, assuming that if I was home, that meant I was available to them. Then someone would call me or text me … or the time suck of all, someone would mention me on Twitter. If I logged onto my twitter account, an hour would pass before I realized what happened. Once that happened, it was just a free pass to any kind of distraction … blog posts I just HAD to read, the news would be on, my husband would be home from work, the list was never-ending.

Methinks I needed to unplug my computer, grab my notebook, and go to the park to free myself of my home distractions … maybe I could write there and make something blow up … or something worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment