Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Flash Fiction - 5MinuteFiction - Week 55

Here's my older entries in the #5MinuteFiction contest hosted by Leah Petersen

Prompt: Reunion

I was dreading this moment. It was my ten year high school reunion. I was so different from the girl I was back then. I wondered if anyone would even recognize me. I was so shy; I doubted most people knew who I was. Perhaps they would just pigeonhole me into the role I was in back then ... and forget about me just as before.

The quiet girl in the corner was always looked over. Sure, I had thoughts back then, but I was so reserved, so afraid to be myself and tell others what was on my mind. High school showed me what real life was going to be like and that I needed to step up if I was going to make my mark. Life was nothing more than a popularity contest. Sure, smarts and skills would get you so far, but when it comes down to it, the prettiest and most popular always wins.

With that knowledge, I made a pact with myself that I would be different in college. I would be unique, I would be assertive, I would be remembered. I blossomed, becoming the person I never was, and who I always wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment