Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Flash Fiction - 5MinuteFiction - Week 58

Here's my older entries in the #5MinuteFiction contest hosted by Leah Petersen

Prompt: “You sure you want to do that, chief?”

“You sure you want to do that, chief?” I asked, looking at my husband who was valiantly trying to fix the sink.

His voice was muffled from inside the cabinet but I could make out “It’s gotta get fixed, doesn’t it?”

“Erm, yeah, but shouldn’t you look at the instructions first?” I was biting my lip trying to avoid laughing. Neither one of us were handy around the house but we were determined to try. I always looked at the instructions first, even going as far as Googling videos just so I had an idea of what I was doing.

My dear husband’s approach was a little more direct, and usually ended up a little more expensive.

He dug in there with a ratchet, some pliers, a bucket, and vice grips … basically anything he thought might work to help fix the problem.

The bucket was probably the most useful tool he had with him.

“How hard can this be? I just need to tighten up this bolt here and adjust thi-”

My husband’s voice was cut off by the sound of rushing water, specifically running water slashing all over my husband.

“Son of a bitch!” my husband sputtered, wiggling out from underneath the sink as fast as he could. Once he was out of the way, the bucket went in, woefully too small to hold back the onslaught of water that was pouring out of the pipes.

With a snort, I ran downstairs and shut off the main water supply to the house and grabbed a bunch of old towels. At least my kitchen floors would be clean later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment