Thursday, May 26, 2011

Writing Photo Prompt Challenge - Week 53

For nearly a year, I've been participating in a weekly prompt challenge. It has been a great experience where I've learned how to be more concise with my writing and get to the point. The first several times I had to work hard to rein in my wordiness. Each week I'll post a link to my prompt for that week and a short exerpt of what I've written. Click on the link to read the full story.

This week's prompt entry is the first of an entire story arc I am going to be working on based on a young woman named Casey who finds her dead mother's journal, and begins a quest to find the answers to her mother's death and the search for an aunt she didn't know she had.

Hearts So Deep

Casey sat on a bench in that park, quite possibly the same bench that her mother sat on all those years ago, near the Penn State campus with the journal in her hand. She hoped that the journal would shed some light on her mother’s death. It all started there, in the park by the playground. Even the time of year seemed to match. The first entry in her mother’s journal was from when she was a freshman in college at Penn State, experiencing life on her own for the first time. It was filled with her thoughts, her dreams, her memories, the people she met, the people she wish she never met, and the ones she was running from.

No comments:

Post a Comment