Thursday, May 30, 2024

ThursThreads Week 612 & The Mourningstar

 Happy Thursday folks. Another week almost done. This is the most I've blogged and wrote in years. I still can't believe it. 

Last week's entry to #ThursThreads won me an honorable mention. I'm glad this story seems to be resonating to people. It isn't quite coming together yet but that's what is great about these snips is I am able to build the story piece by piece and can work through issues step by step. 

I'm still working through the Mourningstar story right now. Not sure how I feel about this particular week. It's not rushed, it's just not hitting me right. I like elements of it, but maybe it will become more clear the more I work in this story. 

For anyone curious about the other great entries for this week, you can check them out on Siobhan's blog here: #ThursThreads

And here's my entry for this week's #ThursThreads:

Prompt: "He knew the end was coming."

x-x-x-x-x

It didn’t take long for him to gather what the alleged informant wanted. He was not a poor man and had multiple resources available to him, some less savory than others. However, this was important enough to call in a few of the more colorful favors. What was telling wasn’t so much what information they were offering, but what they were asking for in return. He’d laugh if he wasn’t so filled with rage.

The location of the hand-off was fairly non-descript: the stereotypical abandoned warehouse. Places like that didn’t scare him, and he wasn’t about to walk in without taking some precautions of his own. He had learned very early on in his long life what happens when you don’t.

He arrived at the given address at the exact time requested. A single light shone from overhead illuminating a partially open steel door. He pushed the door the rest of the way easily, the well-oiled hinges silent. His footsteps were the only sound as he walked into the middle of the vacant warehouse. There was no other illumination present but he didn’t need them to see the interior.

It was several minutes before he heard another soul. A gust of air behind him was the only indication he was no longer alone. He didn’t bother to turn. He didn’t need to. He knew the end was coming. The end of this charade that his family actually cared about him and his life.

“Hello, Brother.”

-----------

The #Mourningstar drabbles are based on the Lucifer TV show. While my story is original and divergent from canon, I am playing in another creator's sandbox. 

No comments:

Post a Comment