Thursday, May 16, 2024

#ThursThreads Week 610 and 'The Mourningstar' continues.

 It's Thursday so that means #ThursThreads from Siobhan Muir's flash fiction contest. I should put more on this blog than my entries, but trying to post on here weekly is about what I can manage right now. It's just great to get into the habit of writing again, even if I don't actively write every day. Even on my off days, I still have these stories in my head and try to work out a section or concept, or just let an idea marinate to see what comes out of it. 

For some encouraging news, last week, I WON #ThursThreads with my latest segment of The Mourningstar. I had won ThursThreads once before, probably a decade ago or nearly so. Its nice to win again, and also makes me feel like I'm going somewhere in the right direction with this story. The comments from the judges really help too. I'm glad I came back.

So this story I've been pecking at - totally pantsing it (flying by the seat of my pants for anyone who isn't familiar with the term pantsing) instead of following an outline or even a suggestion of a story. I have been letting the prompts guide me. Thus far, they have led me to what I think is an engaging story. I haven't named my characters yet, and eventually I am going to have to name names as just using pronouns will get confusing if I add too many more characters. 

For now, I'm just enjoying the experience. The story hasn't been beta'ed or read by anyone else to polish for grammar or structure, so the whole thing is very raw. I do try to clean it up as I go, but any story is always better when someone else is able to look it over. I think once it's complete, I'll compile all the weeks together into one cohesive story and then fill in the blanks and add whatever is needed to make it come together. 

If you are curious about the other entries into #ThursThreads or want more information about it (or if you want to participate yourself), check out Siohban Muir's blog here.

 (for full disclosure, I did make a few tweaks to what I posted on #ThursThreads as once I looked it over, I wanted to fix a few things. I was running against the clock on getting my submission in and my entry was a little sloppier than what I would have preferred. So I cleaned it up before I posted it here)

x-x-x

Today's prompt was "His cell phone vibrated" and my latest segment of The Mourningstar:

He barely reached the piano bench in time before as his knees buckled, saving him from landing on the glass and whisky strewn floor. He knuckled his eyes in disbelief then stared at his very alive wife through the glass of the balcony. When she had appeared before, he knew she was just a figment of his imagination, a manifestation of his grief. This was different. She seemed much more solid and real. Something was very different.

“How- Wha?” he choked, as he tried to gather his wits.

She pulled open the balcony door and stepped into the room as he stood on trembling legs. This wasn’t possible. He saw her dead body at the hospital. He saw the injuries that ultimately ended her life. He was the one that removed her wedding ring from her lifeless and cold finger.

“Hey baby.”

He never thought he’d hear her voice again. He knew it wasn’t possible. Hearing it now had to be some kind of sick joke put on by his Father.

“This can’t be real. You’re just a ghost like all the other times.”

He wanted her to be real. He so wanted her to be real-to have her back again in his arms.

She smiled softly as she took another step toward him. “It’s real. I’m real. I’m back.”

His cell phone vibrated from the other side of the room where he had thrown it. He ignored it.

“How? What did He do? What did He make you do?”


-----------

The #Mourningstar drabbles are based on the Lucifer TV show. While my story is original and divergent from canon, I am playing in another creator's sandbox. 

No comments:

Post a Comment