Friday, November 9, 2018

ThursdayThreads Week 338 - Poolside

Getting back into the flash fiction circuit again, I realized how much I missed such fun ones as MenageMonday and ThursdayThreads. There were a couple of other weekly flash contests back when I was participating regularly, but it looks like they aren't active anymore, including my own flash fiction blog I had going for awhile. Thankfully there are new ones that I'm getting familiar with and are enjoying like the Mid-Week Flash. Each flash contest is another way to get the creative juices flowing. I've been trying to keep the entries in the world of my current #Nano project, Waking Elizabeth, but it isn't always possible. Today was one of those days. The flash entries that deal with my current WIP may not necessarily make the draft, but it helps me stay in the characters mind. :)

Today is (well, was since it's after midnight, but it's still Thursday to me) Thursday, which means #ThursdayThreads! The prompt was: “They always travel in packs.”

I loved the prompt and the ideas where endless on what you could do with it. Based on the stories submitted on the blog, everyone else had fun with it too. The judge is going to have her work cut out for her.

HERE is where you can read all of the entries.

My story is below. Enjoy!

Poolside

Elizabeth leaned back in her pool lounger and sipped the frozen colorful concoction that Carrie had brought her a moment ago. She had no idea what was in it, but it was delicious. If she drank too many of these, she doubted she’d remember much of the weekend.

Laying poolside at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas was not how Elizabeth had planned on her weekend to go, but Carrie finally convinced her to go out for an impromptu girl’s weekend. Elizabeth had to admit to herself, it was nice to get away for a few days, to pretend for a moment, a few days, that she wasn’t in the situation that she was in.

Carrie relaxed next to her, a matching fruity concoction loaded with sugar and alcohol in her hand. “Ah, I could stay here forever.”

“It is rather nice here,” Elizabeth agreed.

“I’m rather partial to the view,” Carrie commented, her eyes following a small group of men walking from the round Temple pool to the nearby Venus pool, their skin glistening from the water.

“They always travel in packs, don’t they?”

“Usually, and that’s part of the fun.”

Both women burst out laughing, causing a couple of the men to look in their direction. Carrie blew them a kiss and waved. Elizabeth hid her face behind her sun hat. The men smiled as they rejoined their friends.

“Today is going to be a lot of fun,” Carrie declared with a devilish smile.

245 Words
@MLGammella

No comments:

Post a Comment